Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 4 - Our first day on our own

At around 5:30 am, I woke to a noise which I took to mean one of the girls had woken up and was coming up to get me. When I looked up in the direction from where the noise came, I was not greeted by either Emily or Ainsley. Instead, I saw the back side of a reddish/brown animal climbing into our closet/wardrobe. Not seeing the front and based on the color, I immediately thought one of the foxes in our back garden had come through our open window and gone into our closet. I immediately woke up Scott with a shake and a “THERE IS AN ANIMAL IN OUR CLOSET!” He looked to the closet just as the animal decided to walk out. It was not a fox as I had feared, but a cat - and a very brazen one at that. So Scott tried to get it to go out the window to no avail so Scott picked it up and brought it outside. Although the cat did not have a collar, it was very domesticated as it let Scott pick it up. While Scott was able to fall back asleep, I was not so I went downstairs to have some cereal in the kitchen. That is when I discovered how our friend had gotten in. Scott had opened the skylight in the kitchen to let the air circulate and I had not closed it. While it was too small for any human to climb through, it was large enough to let the cat slink through.

Then Scott got up at 7:30 and did something he has not done in over a year. He drove to work! He left at 8:30 and the girls and I were on our own. Ainsley learned how to swim with her head in the water right before we left and was desperate to show me her new skill. I had told the girls that we would find a pool here and so that is what we set out doing on Monday. We joined a public pool/gym for 2 months called Pools on the Park. We took the bus down to the town center of Richmond and walked about 5 minutes to the pool. The facility has both an outside and inside pool and given that it was 30C that day (~87 Fahrenheit), we opted to go swim in the outside pool. While the girls insisted that the water was warm once you got in, it was still pretty cold to me. But they had fun and I got to see Ainsley swim with her face in the water, which was so exciting. Once Oakmarr allows signups for the fall, we will be enrolling in swimming lessons again.

Then we walked back to the town to pickup the bus and did a little food shopping at the TESCO food market right there. We bought some things that we had forgotten to buy on Saturday. We could only buy 2 bags worth of food as that is all I could carry on the bus. It reminds me of the shopping I did when we lived in NYC and I could only buy what could fit in the bottom of the baby stroller. Then we took the bus home.

While the girls were getting ready for bed, I noticed my cousin pop up as available on Skype. So I gave him a call and the girls got to chat with Brendan and my Uncle Bob before heading to bed.

All in all a successful first day on our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment