Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 30 – Mall & Dinner by River

So most of the am and part of the afternoon was spent trying to get Scott’s credit cards & drivers license replaced. For UBS, after getting switched to 4 different people, I decided to go get in the shower in the back part of the house. About 3 minutes into the shower, Scott arrived with a towel. The 5th UBS person needed to speak with me and the internet doesn't work in the back so I had to get out, very wet to answer UBS' questions. I was not a happy camper! After all of that was completed, we decided to head to replace some of the stuff. Someone had told Scott that there was a mall in Kingston. I had not seen anything in my travels there that resembled a mall but we set out in our replacement car to find out.

We had run into our neighbor who gave us directions and we were off. When we got inside, it was like we were home. It was truly a mall – I would say a very small mall but it was complete with elevators and department store (1) and stores that we recognized from the malls back home – H&M, J Crew, Gap. And it had teenagers too – some things never change.

In the department store, while looking for a replacement laptop bag, we found the American section. I was drooling. They had lots of brands from home – Kraft Mac & Cheese (Ainsley tried the version here and did not like it at all), Motts apple sauce, Aunt Jemima syrup, Snyders pretzels. While they went upstairs to look at wallets, I stayed downstairs to get a few things. I bought all of the above plus Jiffy Pop microwave popcorn, Betty Crocker cake mix (for Ainsley’s birthday next week) and a Betty Crocker cookie mix and it cost a fortune. I won’t be doing that again but it was nice to have a little bit from home

Then we decided to eat at Kingston so we looked on Yelp – yes they have Yelp here too, and found a quaint French restaurant right on the Thames called Frere Jacques. We were seated outside and Emily got a bonus Sprite with her dinner because she ordered lemonade and it was Sprite. The food was great and the location was very scenic. Then we headed home to bed. Everyone was exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment